Big Idea: An idol is something we look to for things that only God can provide
All of us have deeply seeded desires in our hearts that are trying to satisfy themselves. Yet, the fact of the matter is that we are never able to satisfy those desires outside of God.
When we try to find that satisfaction outside of God we create idols. There are three idols that are typically prevalent in our hearts are the idols of significance, love, and comfort. The idol of significance is the need to be "somebody." The idol of love is the need to feel loved all the time. The idol of comfort rears its head when suffering drives a wedge between us and God instead of driving us towards him.
Questions to help find my idols:
1. What do my thoughts effortlessly go to when there is nothing else demanding my attention?
2. How do I spend my money?
3. What do I worry about? Or, what causes depression?
- "Our hearts are restless until they rest in you." Augustine #iamgomer
- We are never able to satisfy the desires of our hearts outside of God. #iamgomer
- We need to root out the idol of significance, the need to be "somebody." #iamgomer
- We need to root our the idol of needing to be loved. #iamgomer
- We need to root our the idol of comfort. #iamgomer
- True approval and comfort comes in knowing that your sins have been forgiven! #ScandalousLove
Listen to the sermon here: